Saturday, May 16, 2009

October 27, 1915

Father,

I'm not sure how to break this news to you, and I'm not even sure if you will believe it.

Ten scouts introduced themselves to me after the first game. I didn't pitch that day, but they said they would be there for my start. Can you believe that?

I don't know exactly what to do. Three of them were from the National League, representing the Philadelphia Phillies, the Brooklyn Robins, and the New York Giants. The other seven were from the United Baseball Association; A few from the United League, and the others from the Columbia League.

One scout, a man named Hank Foote, said he was from the Boston Shipbuilders ballclub. He said that the Boston team was playing terribly and was looking for new pitchers, and that they would be picking first in a draft that brought amateur players into the league.

Father, he said I could be good enough to be picked first.

I want to know what you think about all of this. I guess I'll see what happens at the game when I pitch.

Love,

Your Son

No comments:

Post a Comment