Monday, May 18, 2009

December 4, 1916

Father,

I followed your instructions and read your letter yesterday.

I'm so glad I got to spend the last four months with you. When you came out to Boston, I had no idea you were going to stay. It was one of the most pleasant surprises to have you all stay for the rest of the season.

And moving back home to Iowa after the season was very nice. Being with you and Mom, Jack and Dot was something I missed tremendously. It had been a whole year since I was home.

I must admit, I don't know exactly what to write in this letter. After all, you are dead. But I have a feeling you will be able to read this. If not now, maybe some day.

I appreciate everything you have done for me, father. That includes telling me not to play baseball. As mad as it made me, I now realize, just as you did with your father, that you were just trying to look out for me. I rather know that you care about me and not get what I want than to have you not care at all.

I'm delivering this letter to your graveyard as soon as the funeral gets underway. It seems like a strange coincidence, that my nickname became Graveyard and now I'm delivering a letter to you at your grave. I don't know what to make of it, but it is a bit strange.

Father, I love you so much and will never, ever forget you.

I'm not good at this either, and to be honest I don't know what else to say. But I am sure that someday, I will see you again. And then, I will have many, many more stories for you.

Goodbye, Father.

Love,

Your Son.

Clay "Graveyard" Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment