Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 23, 1916

Son,

I wanted to give you an update on my health condition.

As you know, I have cancer that is slowly and steadily spreading through my body. The doctor told me that I have between a year and three years to live.

Plenty of time to see my boy pitch for Boston, right?

Son, I know this is hard. It's hard for us to not have you here, but I want you to realize something that I have realized. Maybe this all happened for a reason. I know this...this disease has changed me for the better. I was so consumed with my version of success and never once thought about what would make you, your brother, your sister, and a lot of the times my own wife...what would make them happy.

The main thing I want you to know is this: Please don't let this affect you. I know it's hard. But I want you to know what I am okay. I'm not bitter and I'm not angry, so you shouldn't be either. This has been a blessing in disguise for me.

Clay, one day I will see you pitch in that Shipbuilder uniform and it will be one of the happiest days of my life. I love you, son.

Love,

Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment