Saturday, May 16, 2009

December 17, 1915

Father,

I did not go to Coach Mack. I cannot do that.

I have been talking to the United League and Columbia League scouts. They said that there are league tryouts in January and February in Richmond. I need to apply for the amateur draft by February 1, 1916.

Father, I know that you don't understand. Yes, I know that Columbia is a prestigious school and that I would be leaving great opportunity if I leave early. But my dream of playing baseball is on the verge of coming true. There sixteen teams that want me to play for them. The scouts said that one player is making $17,000 per year and that after this season a lot of players will be making that much. It is extremely hard to defy your wishes, but this is something I must do.

I'm sorry that I'm such a disappointment.

Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment