Monday, May 18, 2009

June 30, 1916

Father,

I'm sorry that I haven't written in so long. i have been very busy. My pitching coach, Martin Pearson, told me that since the big league club has been floundering and in last place, I could be called up as early as the end of this year. I always hoped, but I thought that next season would be more likely.

Coach Pearson and I have been working hard on developing a new pitch, the curve ball. He told me that it was developed by a pitcher named Candy Cummings back in the 1860's. It's a very hard pitch to control, but I'm getting better at it.

Since I last wrote you, I've posted a 6-7 record. Not great, but like I told you, our team isn't very good.

I wish you could meet a good friend I made. He's also a pitcher. Nails Kemper is his name. He's from upstate New York. Last year, he played for the St. Paul Saints but was traded here for a really excellent catcher, Spider Snider. Well, six other guys came along here with him as well. Maybe when I come home to visit in the offseason he can come along with me.

I'd love to keep writing, but I have to go to bed. We leave for Philadelphia early tomorrow morning.

Love,

Your Son

No comments:

Post a Comment